Tuesday, January 06, 2009

At the railway station ..



It was early on a cold Sunday morning, Jan 4, that I had to be at the railway station to pick up my kids and wife who were arriving from Pune. The good part was I reached the station in 15 minutes flat. It usually take about an hour. As I stepped out of the parking , I see this sea of humanity come out at me. Even staying in Bangalore I had not seen so many people all at one place. And everyone of the them was out to go somewhere !


Since I had some time and as is my bad habit, with a cup of tea in my hand, I sat around looking at the various facets of human life. Even on that early Sunday morning the industrious people of India were out trying to make a living. One particular sight caught my eye. There were these 3 women who sat around a burl sack emptying water from discarded plastic water bottles. They had close to a hundred bottles they had collected from the train that had just arrived. And I said to myself, here is the right formula for plastic re-cycling. And we Indians have been at it longer than anybody else has. I think we are still quite unique in the fact that our waste (paper, plastic, old appliances) can be sold for good money whereas my friends in developed countries instead pay money to get the waste hauled away ! How ironic. I guess we Indians can always find some good use for things.


I guess when the day of judgment comes; which should not to too away considering the rate at which we are raping the world, the industrious , recycling , non-wasting Indians will be on a nice silver platter in front of God ! :-)

Get hold of the book "Hot Flat and Crowded" , read it and then ACT on it. As Al Gore puts it, "The earth has a fever" and we need do something about it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At January 16, 2009 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one dude. Keep writing...Two things
1. Actually older ways were much more recyle friendly.
2. Ahha - sea of humanity - you need to visit VT/Churchgate in Mumbai. In reality we Indians are very adjusting and accepting folks (tolerating word is insult).
Govind

 
At January 21, 2009 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hosa entry hakkapa,
Govind

 

Post a Comment

<< Home